Sunday, June 26, 2011

Today's Homily

So today's homily was about blessings. About how we constantly forget all the blessings God has given us. Father Micheal talked about how since he was diagnosed with cancer, his everyday "problems" no longer seem important to him. He goes through the day, acknowledging all the little things that used to bother or unnerve him. He said that now, seeing how precious his life has become and we never really know when we will be called home to God, we should make the most of each of our earthly days and count our blessings. I know we are always told to be grateful for the blessings we have and stop wishing for bigger and better. But he struck a cord with me today. I have been so nervous about....well...everything. Not a day goes by where I am not worried about some "problem". I worry about our house, how we will furnish it, not having a job, not finding a job, worrying about being pregnant and how that looks, worrying about how I look, complaining about being sick through this pregnancy, complaining about my sister or my family....just to name a few things that I personally consider "problems" in my life. I worry about you and I. About marriage, about loving one another forever, about raising our children...I make "problems" when I have none. I thank God every night for the gifts he gives me but yet, during the hours of the day, when I feel exposed to other people, I'm ungrateful. But then the baby moves or you call and...life makes sense. I'm so excited we are having this child. Honestly scared but I believe my fear resides solely in the views of other people. Still. I can't seem to escape it. But if it were just you and me, then I wouldn't find any hesitation and I would remember to count my blessings. I also forget at times the love that we share and how real it is. And I make "problems" for myself. But I know that we were blessed with the gift of finding each other and sharing all that we have together. We've made each other stronger through each and every task God has put before us. Why am I not more grateful for all these things? You're better at it than I am; always appreciating what you have and feeling the happiness it brings to your life. I have to stop focusing on my "problems" and focus on our blessings. We have so much and have so much ahead of us. So much more than more than half the people in this world. I have my health; you have yours; Summer has hers; and God willing so will our little one. We are blessed to have families and friends. Plus the everyday gifts. So I'm going to work harder at focusing on my blessings and less on the "problems". And I'm going to find strength in my faith and trust that God will always take care of us. I may need your help time to time to remind me but I figure, you and I are really good at reminding each other of things. ;) I hope you know how grateful I am to have you in my life. You are one of my greatest blessings, I hope you know that..

1 comment:

  1. Baby youre def not alone in ur feelings. I catch myself complaing or making up "problems" from time to time as well. I think about how we are kind of doing everything in reverse and how our plans keep changing, but then i think, thats the point. its not supposed to be about OUR plans, but God's plan. "In his heart each man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps." -Proverbs 16:9

    I always make sure to thank God for all the blessings he has given me. I love you so much,you, the baby, Summer, you all give me true purpose in this life. If someone askes me, "what's the meaning of life?" alld i will do is smile and think of you all. You are why i do what i do every day. And not just the army stuff. But just why i want to be a good man every day. I want to be the best i can be for you because you mean so much to me and deserve it.

    I love you so much baby, I know we will continue to grow in love and faith together and i cant wait to continue this life for many many years with you and our family :D

    ReplyDelete